Microsoft has set the Windows 10 working system to routinely verify for updates and install new updates by default. The newest version of Windows 10 doesn’t supply disabling or turning off Windows updates.
Skilled, Enterprise, and Schooling editions of Windows 10 have entry to group coverage and registry settings for this, however even House editions of Windows 10 offer you a means to cease updates from routinely downloading.
How to Disable or Turn Off Automatic Updates in Windows 10
1. Utilizing Group Coverage Editor : This feature won’t work in Residence editions of Windows 10 because it lacks Group Coverage Editor. To open Group Coverage Editor, open the run command (Win Key + R) and sort gpedit.msc and press enter. This opens the editor and navigate to Pc Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Elements -> Windows Replace.
Double click on the option “Configure Automatic Updates” and in the choices enable it. Now, change the Configure Automatic Updates setting to ‘2 – Notify for download and notify for install’
It will forestall automated download of updates, however it can notify you of new updates.
2. Stopping Windows Replace Service : Windows 10 has a service for checking the updates and you may attempt disabling it. Open the Run command (Win + R) and sort providers.msc and press enter. Within the providers record, discover the Windows Replace Service. Open the service and in the ‘Startup Sort’ (underneath the ‘Basic’ tab) change it to ‘Disabled’.
3. Utilizing Metered Connection : Once you set a connection as “Metered”, Windows 10 will not routinely download updates on it. To set this option, open the Settings app, choose Community & Web, scroll down, and choose “Superior choices” under the listing of Wi-Fi networks. Allow the “Set as metered connection” option. By marking a connection as metered, you’ve tricked Windows into considering it’s a mobile knowledge connection.
4. Utilizing Registry Editor : Open the Run command (Win + R) and sort regedit and press enter. Within the registry editor navigate to the important thing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftWindowsWindowsUpdateAU. You may need to create the final couple of keys there because it won’t exist. Beneath AU, create a ‘32-bit DWORD’ worth referred to as AuOptions and beneath ‘Worth Knowledge’ sort 2 and click ‘OK’.Alternatively you may also create a new DWORD referred to as NoAutoUpdate and worth as 2, which is disable automated updates. Earlier than you edit this, it’s advisable to take a backup of the registry on Windows.
5. DoNotSpy App : It is a free app which permits you to disable sure features in Windows 10, corresponding to automated system updates, biometrics or the Lock Display Digital camera perform and extra. DoNotSpy10 supplies you with the chance to simply handle what you need to share and what not. The app lists all of the providers which could be prevented and you may examine the field towards them to disable it. You’ll be able to disable automated updates for system, Windows retailer, disable Windows defender and extra.
6. Utilizing Microsoft’s Device : Obtain the “Show or Hide updates” software from Microsoft and run it. The software will routinely seek for obtainable updates and permit them to be hidden. This primarily prevents Windows updates from downloading updates for that package deal in the longer term. Through the use of this software, you are enable to discover the Windows Replace or driver replace that inflicting drawback to your system.
Bonus Ideas : You possibly can cease Windows updates from mechanically rebooting your pc by Go to Settings app > Replace & Security > Superior Choices > Notify to Schedule Restart.